24/7 Space News
SHAKE AND BLOW
China says cumulative 44 dead, 9 missing in Beijing rains
China says cumulative 44 dead, 9 missing in Beijing rains
by AFP Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) July 31, 2025

China said Thursday that a total of 44 people were killed and nine unaccounted for following heavy rains that soaked swathes of the capital Beijing since last week.

"As of midday on July 31, some 44 people have died and nine are still missing as a result of the disasters across the whole of Beijing," top city official Xia Linmao told a news conference.

"Between July 23 and 29, Beijing suffered extreme rainfall," he said, adding they had caused "significant casualties and (other) losses".

Out of those deaths, 31 took place at an "elderly care centre" in the town of Taishitun in the northeast of the city, Xia said.

Those still missing are local officials working on search and rescue, he added.

"On behalf of the municipal party committee and the city government, I would like to express deep mourning for those who have regrettably lost their lives, and profound condolences to their relatives," he said.

Swathes of northern China endured deadly rains and floods since last week that forced the evacuation of tens of thousands.

'All gone': Beijing villagers left with nothing after deadly floods
Huairou, China (AFP) July 30, 2025 - Villager Hu Yuefang returned to her home on the rural outskirts of Beijing to pick up medicine for her elderly and disabled father, only to find it had been washed away by some of worst flooding to hit the Chinese capital in years.

Swathes of northern China have endured deadly rains and floods this week that killed at least 48 people and forced the evacuation of tens of thousands.

As clean-up efforts began on Wednesday, AFP journalists visited the northern Beijing district of Huairou -- one of the worst-hit areas less than 100 kilometres (62 miles) from the bustling city centre.

In Anzhouba village, muddy waters had receded, exposing scraps of metal and broken branches.

Local Hu recounted a frantic call to her stepdaughter, 23, who was home with her parents when the waters struck on Saturday night.

"But before I could finish my words, the call dropped," she told AFP.

She later found out that rushing water from the river around 10 metres away had flooded the house and blocked the front door.

Her daughter was forced to kick out the window and evacuate her grandparents to the neighbour's balcony, dragging her disabled grandfather as his wife pushed from below.

"I've never seen this before, in all my 40 years of life. Neither have those who've lived 80 or 90 years," she said.

"I returned today to retrieve his medicine, but the water swept it all away."

- 'It's all gone' -

Wearing slippers, she marched over downed powerlines and debris from broken fences and destroyed cars as she surveyed the damage to the village where she has lived her entire life.

Mud with streaks of silt caked her walls -- evidence that the flood waters had reached at least over a metre high.

"I've already lived here for many years -- my parents have lived here for almost 70 years, I've lived here for 40 -- I can't bear to leave."

A small blue sofa near the front door had washed out into the alley.

The family of six subsists off 2,000 ($278) to 3,000 yuan a month, Hu -- a stay-at-home carer whose husband works as a labourer -- said.

They grow their own vegetables -- from green beans, cucumbers, potatoes -- but the field has been destroyed.

"It's gone. All gone, flushed away," she said.

- 'Unlivable' -

In Liulimiao town, which covers Anzhouba village, AFP journalists saw evacuations taking place throughout Wednesday, with elderly villagers driven by bus from their mountainous homes.

An older woman who declined to give her name said she was "not allowed" to return home but had gone back anyway to check in.

When the floods hit, she said, "there was nobody paying attention to us", adding the water hit "suddenly" on Saturday.

Another villager, surnamed Wang, gazed at the destruction to his home which he built with government subsidies 15 years ago.

He estimated his losses to be around 100,000 yuan ($14,000).

His wife and two daughters were home and unable to open the doors when the waters "suddenly rose".

The waters reached 1.5 metres (five feet), leaving brown muddy residue on the wall and a mounted TV.

Their car, which Wang bought so his daughter could practice driving, was washed uphill from outside of their home.

Five more minutes of flooding might have put his family's life in danger, he said.

"It didn't give people a chance," Wang said.

His home was now "unlivable", he explained tearfully.

"We've become wards of the state," he said. "My heart feels very bad."

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
SHAKE AND BLOW
Canada project reclaims 'foul' industrial area to contain floods
Toronto, Canada (AFP) July 30, 2025
The spur to build Toronto's billion-dollar-plus flood prevention project dates back to a devastating hurricane in 1954, but planners say its urgency was reinforced by the recent tragic flooding in Texas. The Port Lands project has, in part, reversed a consequence of industrialization by reconnecting Lake Ontario with the Don River, more than a century after they were severed to create an industrial area. Chris Glaisek, chief planning officer at the municipal body Waterfront Toronto, said the ide ... read more

SHAKE AND BLOW
NASA says it will lose about 20 percent of its workforce

Jensen Huang, AI visionary in a leather jacket

Club Med taps ex-Carrefour executive as new CEO

New twist in EU-China patents standoff at WTO

SHAKE AND BLOW
New MachLab rocket test site launches UK into next phase of space engineering

SpaceX launches satellites from California, Florida day after scrubs

Lunar soil shows promise for in-situ oxygen and fuel production

SpaceX scrubs launch of 2 SES mPOWER satellites

SHAKE AND BLOW
China Focus: Chinese scientist details first planned Mars sample-return mission Tianwen 3

Skyfall Mars helicopter fleet to scout future astronaut landing sites

Curiosity Rovers Boxwork Campaign Reaches New Heights on Mount Sharp

Brines may form from seasonal frost on Mars study finds

SHAKE AND BLOW
Six Chinese universities to launch new low altitude space major this fall

International deep space alliance launched in Hefei China

China launches international association to boost global access to deep space research

Chinese Long March Rockets Make International Debut at Paris Air Show

SHAKE AND BLOW
SpaceX launches 28 Starlink satellites days after service outage

Sidus Space unveils plan to raise capital through public stock offering

AST SpaceMobile launches $500 million convertible note offering with share repurchase initiative

Surrey launches new Space Institute to drive mission-ready innovation and skills for UK space sector

SHAKE AND BLOW
Ancient Roman concrete longevity offers mixed sustainability benefits

US tech titan earnings rise on AI as economy roils

'Marathon at F1 speed': China bids to lap US in AI leadership

Stablecoins inspire hope, and hype, in Hong Kong

SHAKE AND BLOW
Building blocks of life found in distant star system suggest origins in interstellar space

One billion years of protein evolution reveals surprising design flexibility

Diverse rocky planets found around nearby red dwarf including one in the habitable zone

Alien life clues may emerge from deep sea volcanic vents on Earth

SHAKE AND BLOW
JunoCam revived by onboard heat treatment just in time for Io flyby

Rare Trans Neptunian Object Reveals Unexpected Orbital Dance with Neptune

Fossil object 2023 KQ14 challenges Planet Nine theory with unique distant orbit

UH Researchers Help Solve Uranus Heat Mystery

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.