Space News from SpaceDaily.com
'Call of Duty' to remain on Playstation
New York, July 16 (AFP) Jul 16, 2023
Tech giants Microsoft and Sony reached a deal to keep releasing the popular "Call of Duty" video games on the Playstation game console, Microsoft announced Sunday.

Microsoft, owner of the rival Xbox console, moved to acquire game studio Activision Blizzard -- which produces "Call of Duty" -- in January 2022.

That move sparked fears of consolidation in the gaming industry, leading US and British regulators to hold up the finalization of the acquisition.

Sunday's "binding agreement" means that "Call of Duty" games will continue to be released on both the Xbox and the Sony Playstation.

"We are pleased to announce that Microsoft and PlayStation have signed a binding agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation following the acquisition of Activision Blizzard," tweeted Microsoft's gaming head Phil Spencer.

"From Day One of this acquisition, we've been committed to addressing the concerns of regulators, platform and game developers, and consumers," said Microsoft President Brad Smith.

"Even after we cross the finish line for this deal's approval, we will remain focused on ensuring that 'Call of Duty' remains available on more platforms and for more consumers than ever before."

In December, ahead of the merger, Spencer had announced that Microsoft was committed to bringing "Call of Duty" to Nintendo, another console maker, following the completion of the acquisition.

Sony had previously sought to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard, which also produces mega-hits "Candy Crush" and "World of Warcraft."

The acquisition would make Microsoft the third biggest company in the gaming industry, in terms of revenue, behind Tencent and Sony.

elm/nro/bgs

Tencent


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning


All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.