Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Thousands remain isolated as floods ease in eastern Australia
Sydney, May 24 (AFP) May 24, 2025
Tens of thousands of Australians remained isolated and thousands were without power on Saturday, authorities said as conditions in New South Wales eased after days of heavy rain that caused widespread flooding.

Floodwaters were slowly subsiding but more than 20 emergency warnings remained in place, with the focus shifting to assessing properties and delivering supplies to cut-off communities.

NSW emergency authorities estimated up to 10,000 properties had been damaged by flooding, mostly in central and northern parts of the state.

Many communities were still isolated, with 50,000 people estimated to be impacted, NSW State Emergency Services (SES) said.

"We will continue to resupply those isolated residents by land, water and air as part of our multi-agency response," SES Chief Superintendent Paul McQueen said.

"We ask you to be patient, remain in a safe location and please don't be tempted to drive through floodwaters or go sightseeing."

The death toll stood at five after the body of a man in his 80s was found at a property near Taree, one of the worst-hit towns.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was unable to visit Taree, as planned, because of treacherous access.

"Conditions remain critical with flood and evacuation warnings in place," Albanese said on X.

"We're continuing to work closely across federal, state and local governments to make sure Australians get the support they need now and through recovery."

More than 600 flood rescues were carried out over the previous three days, prompting NSW Premier Chris Minns to praise the work of emergency services.

"We would have had hundreds of deaths if it wasn't for the bravery, the courage of emergency service workers in the last 72 hours," he told journalists.

SES deputy commissioner Daniel Austin said he expected the number of warnings to decrease over the weekend but urged motorists to avoid driving in floodwaters.

He said stagnant water posed a health risk and that vermin and snakes could make their way into homes.

The storms dumped more than six months' worth of rain over three days, according to the government weather bureau, smashing records in some areas.

Although difficult to link to specific disasters, scientists warn that climate change is already fuelling more extreme weather patterns.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning


All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.