Russia to start offering spacewalks for tourists
by Staff Writers
Moscow (AFP) Feb 1, 2018
Russia is planning to send paying tourists on the International Space Station out on spacewalks for the first time, an official from the country's space industry said Thursday.
"We are discussing the possibility of sending tourists on spacewalks," Vladimir Solntsev, the head of Russian space company Energia, told Russian tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda.
"Market analysts have confirmed this: wealthy people are ready to pay money for this," Solntsev told the paper.
He said the cost of such a trip could be around $100 million (80 million euros), "possibly less for the first tourist".
The tourists will be able to "go out on a spacewalk and make a film, (or) a video clip".
Energia, which was behind the launch of the first man in space Yuri Gagarin in 1961, is currently building a new module dubbed NEM-2 to transport tourists to the International Space Station (ISS).
Solntsev said the NEM-2, the name of which is still to be confirmed, will accommodate four to six people. It will be fitted with "comfortable" cabins, two toilets and internet access.
"It should be launched in 2019," he said.
"Basically it will be comfortable, as much as that is possible in space," the space official was quoted as saying.
He added that American aircraft manufacturer Boeing was interested in becoming a partner in the project.
Five to six tourists a year will be able to take a space trip lasting up to 10 days, Solntsev said.
Space tourism is a developing sector currently dominated by Western companies, such as the US-based Virgin Galactic, which unveiled its commercial SpaceShipTwo in 2016.
Russia sent Canadian founder of the Cirque du Soleil, Guy Laliberte, into space in 2009. The billionaire spent two weeks on the ISS.
Iranian-American entrepreneur Anousheh Ansari became the first female space tourist in 2006.
Chinese, Russians shore up Middle East tourism
Madrid (AFP) Jan 21, 2018
Chinese and Russian visitors boosted Middle Eastern tourism last year following a 2016 slump as Europeans gave the area a wide berth on security fears, according to the World Tourism Organization (WTO). The Mideast region as a whole drew 58 million foreign tourists in 2017 - a 4.8 percent rise on the previous year - the Madrid-based WTO said in its latest figures released midweek. Jihadist attacks on tourist sites in Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey in recent years particularly hit the industry. ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.