by Staff Writers
Riyadh (AFP) March 28, 2017
Saudi Arabia intercepted four missiles fired by Yemeni rebels on Tuesday, a Saudi-led coalition said, in what it described as evidence of arms smuggling through a rebel-held Red Sea port.
The coalition has said previously that it destroyed much of the Shiite rebels' missile capability early in its two-year-old bombing campaign and says persistent launches show they are receiving new deliveries from abroad.
"Early this morning, four missiles were intercepted," the coalition said.
"The ongoing missile attacks on Saudi cities provide clear evidence of the arms smuggling that continues to take place in Yemen, notably through the port of Hodeida."
The coalition said that the missiles targeted Khamis Mushait, which houses the coalition's main airbase for its operations in Yemen, and Abha, another city close to the Yemeni border.
It said they were intercepted without casualties or damage.
The coalition has previously accused Shiite Iran of smuggling weapons to its coreligionists, a charge Tehran denies.
The coalition has enforced an air and sea blockade of rebel-held areas since the start of its intervention in March 2015.
Hodeida is the main port of entry for UN-supervised aid deliveries to rebel areas.
The UN World Food Programme said on Friday that a third of Yemen's 22 provinces were on the brink of famine.
It said it was providing food to around seven million people each month but that was less than half the 17 million who were going hungry.
Earlier this month, the coalition called on the United Nations to take full control of Hodeida to facilitate "ending the use of the port for weapons smuggling."
The UN rejected the request, saying the responsibility to protect infrastructure and civilians could not be shifted to other parties.
Sunday marked the second anniversary of the launch of the coalition's intervention.
Hundreds of thousands poured into the streets of Sanaa in a show of support for the Shiite rebels, who still control the capital as well as most of the north and the Red Sea coast.
More than 7,700 people have been killed since the intervention began, most of them civilians, according to World Heath Organization figures.
Washington (UPI) Mar 21, 2017
David's Sling, Israel's developing mid-tier missile defense system, is set to become operational within weeks, according to local media reports. Once operational, the system will be used to supplement Israel's existing Iron Dome and Arrow missile defense systems. The new platform specializes in intercepting tactical ballistic missiles, medium to long-range rockets, and cruise missiles. ... read more
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|