Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. 24/7 Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



AEROSPACE
MH370: No suspicions of crew, passengers, says French probe
by Staff Writers
Paris (AFP) Jan 6, 2017


MH370 search to end in two weeks: official
Kuala Lumpur (AFP) Jan 6, 2017 - The hunt for missing flight MH370 will end in two weeks, Malaysia's transport minister said on Friday, as relatives of passengers demanded authorities push on with the search.

"We're at the final lap within these two weeks," the minister, Liow Tiong Lai told reporters. "We hope we can find the plane."

Liow did not specify a date but said that a tripartite meeting will be held after a final report is released when the 120,000 square kilometre (46,000 square mile) search ends.

Authorities had previously said the search will end early this year. The last search vessel embarked on its final sweep across the southern Indian Ocean last month.

The Malaysian Airlines jet disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 passengers and crew.

It is believed that the Malaysian Airlines plane crashed into the Indian Ocean, but an extensive deep-sea hunt off Australia's west coast has failed to find a single piece of debris.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which has been leading the search mission, said in a report last month that the Boeing jet is almost certainly not in the current search zone and may be further north.

The report was based on a review of evidence by Australian and international experts.

Australia has said that it did not view the report findings as credible.

The governments of Australia, Malaysia and China, where most of the passengers were from, previously agreed to pull the plug on the operation once the current search area was fully scoured unless "credible new information" emerged.

"We cannot just base [a search] on assumptions. We need credible clues to look for the plane," said Liow when asked about the possibility of a search further north.

Many families have been long sceptical about whether the ongoing search is in the right place.

In a statement late Thursday, the international group of MH370 next-of-kin, Voice 370, called on Malaysia, Australia and China to consider the next step before the current search ends.

"Extending the search to the new area defined by experts is an inescapable duty owed to the flying public in the interest of aviation safety," it added.

A French background check of passengers and crew aboard Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which mysteriously disappeared in 2014, has found no cause for suspicion, concurring sources told AFP on Friday.

France has opened its own investigation into the disappearance because four French nationals were among the 227 passengers and 12 crew aboard the flight.

The investigators and three examining magistrates met with relatives of the four on Thursday to brief them on progress.

The relatives were told that background checks on passengers and crew by France's domestic intelligence agency, the DGSI, "turned up negative," according to sources close to the inquiry.

Ghyslain Wattrelos, whose wife and two of his children were onboard, confirmed this account.

"They told us that the search didn't turn up anything," he told AFP.

Questions about passenger and crew background emerged when the Malaysian authorities said two Iranian passengers on the flight had been travelling on stolen passports.

But Interpol said they were most probably migrants trying to reach Europe.

At Thursday's meeting, a French specialist also provided the final version of an interim report that had been drawn up in September, "but it didn't say anything that was much new," Wattrelos' lawyer, Marie Dose, said.

She praised the examining magistrates for their "remarkable" work.

MH370 disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

It is believed that the Boeing 777 crashed into the Indian Ocean, but an extensive deep-sea hunt off Australia's west coast has failed to find a single piece of debris.

On Friday, Malaysia's transport minister, Liow Tiong Lai, said the hunt would end in two weeks.

Liow did not specify a date but said a tripartite meeting will be held after a final report is released when the 120,000-square-kilometre (46,000-square- mile) search ends.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which has been leading the search mission, said in a report last month that the jet is almost certainly not in the current search zone and may be further north.

arb/sde/pau/mw/ri/ach

Malaysia Airlines


Comment on this article using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

.


Related Links
Aerospace News at SpaceMart.com






Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
AEROSPACE
U.K. Defense Ministry signs off on Atlas A400M upgrade deal
London (UPI) Jan 5, 2017
Britain's Ministry of Defense has completed negotiating a $509 million contract with Airbus to support production for the Atlas A400M airlifter. Currently, the Royal Air Force has 14 A400M aircraft in service. Defense officials plan to add an additional 8 by 2019. The new contract, defense officials say, secures a key part of the force's fleet until 2026. "The U.K.'s future armed ... read more


AEROSPACE
Tech show looks beyond 'smart,' to new 'realities'

'Passengers' and the real-life science of deep space travel

NASA Readies for Major Orion Milestones in 2017

India achieves advances multiple space systems in 2016

AEROSPACE
Russia won't be leaving Baikonur anytime soon

Russia to double number of space launches in 2017

SpaceX concluded accident investigation, to start launching rockets again

SpaceX sets launch date for Falcon 9 RTF

AEROSPACE
Odyssey recovering from precautionary pause in activity

Small Troughs Growing on Mars May Become 'Spiders'

All eyes on Trump over Mars

Opportunity performs several drives to ancient gully

AEROSPACE
China Space Plan to Develop "Strength and Size"

Beijing's space program soars in 2016

China Plans to Launch 1st Mars Probe by 2020 - State Council Information Office

China to expand int'l cooperation on space sciences

AEROSPACE
Airbus DS and Energia eye new medium-class satellite platform

OneWeb announces key funding form SoftBank Group and other investors

Space as a Driver for Socio-Economic Sustainable Development

SoftBank delivers first $1 bn of Trump pledge, to space firm

AEROSPACE
Saab, UAE sign radar support deal

Elbit contracted for airborne laser designator work

RADA contracted for high energy laser radars

Rice U probes ways to turn cement's weakness to strength

AEROSPACE
The blob can learn and teach

Searching a sea of 'noise' to find exoplanets - using only data as a guide

Microlensing Study Suggests Most Common Outer Planets Likely Neptune-mass

Exciting new creatures discovered on ocean floor

AEROSPACE
Exploring Pluto and the Wild Back Yonder

Juno Captures Jupiter 'Pearl'

Juno Mission Prepares for December 11 Jupiter Flyby

Research Offers Clues About the Timing of Jupiter's Formation




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement