by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Sept 12, 2015
Tokyo on Saturday resumed work on a controversial new US military base in southern Okinawa following a month-long suspension, officials said, even as talks with local officials opposed to the project remained deadlocked.
The Japanese government announced the temporary halt last month for "concentrated discussions" with Takeshi Onaga, the outspoken governor of Okinawa, and other officials.
But negotiations failed to reach a compromise and work has now resumed.
The plan to relocate Futenma air base, first mooted in 1996, has become the focus of anger among locals, who insist it should be shut and a replacement built elsewhere in Japan or overseas.
Local residents staged a protest in the Henoko district Saturday in central Okinawa, where the central government plans to build a replacement facility for the air station, Kyodo News reported.
Henoko is a small coastal area on Okinawa.
Reports added Onaga also immediately condemned the resumption, saying: "It was extremely regrettable. I will not let (the central government) build a new base in Henoko by any means."
Both Tokyo and Washington have repeatedly backed the relocation plan, with Abe insisting it was "the only solution".
All sides agree that Futenma's current site -- in the middle of a crowded urban area where its aircraft are a nuisance to thousands of locals -- is not appropriate, but the US will not close it until a replacement facility is ready.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has faced opposition over the Okinawa plan and his public opinion ratings are dropping as parliament debates controversial legislation aimed at changing the Japanese military's narrowly defensive role.
The legislation, which Abe says is necessary to counter rising regional tensions, has sparked rare protests in Japan.
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|