. 24/7 Space News .
Ahmadinejad defiant as EU worries over sanctions call

by Staff Writers
Tehran (AFP) Oct 4, 2007
Iran offered a defiant response Thursday to French calls for EU sanctions over Tehran's nuclear programme, while other European nations blew hot and cold on how best to press the Islamic republic.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad vowed that he would never give in to international pressure.

"On the nuclear issue, the enemies have assembled all they have but I tell the whole world that Iran has conquered difficult passes and no power can halt the successive victories of Iran," he was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.

Iran has flouted UN Security Council calls for it to suspend sensitive uranium enrichment operations, which the West fears could be used to make a nuclear weapon.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner wrote to his EU partners this week urging them to take economic sanctions to pressure Iran to end its "nuclear defiance".

Such moves would parallel the existing UN sanctions regime against Iran imposed by two Security Council resolutions. The United States is seeking a third UN resolution imposing sanctions.

In his response, Ahmadinejad invoked his fervent belief in the "hidden" 12th imam Mahdi who Shiites believe disappeared 1,200 years ago and will one day return to save the world.

"As God promised, the oppressors will have their noses rubbed in the dirt. Now they are fulfilling this promise by themselves," he said.

"Let it be known that in whatever we do, I see the hand of God and the hidden imam at every moment."

Tehran insists its atomic drive is entirely peaceful and solely aimed at generating energy.

Kouchner had last month provoked an angry reaction from the Islamic republic by warning the world to brace for war with Tehran.

And in his letter to the 27-nation bloc's foreign ministers, Kouchner said it was "vital" that they set an example and initiate "firm new measures" to step up the pressure on Iran.

His call drew a mixed response, with Britain "wholeheartedly" backing the idea.

"We obviously work very, very closely with the French and the Germans and others on this ... and we are very supportive of the French position on this," a British Foreign Office spokesman said.

Spain and Italy, however, made it clear that they favoured pursuing further diplomatic channels before resorting to sanctions.

"There should be a stronger political initiative," Italian Foreign Minister Massimo D'Alema said. "While applying stronger pressure (on Tehran), we should offer a political solution."

D'Alema advocated a solution such as that reached with North Korea, "proposing to Iran negotiations in a regional framework ... while offering not only an economic cooperation plan but also the prospect of full political recognition."

A source at the Spanish foreign ministry expressed a similar "preference for diplomatic solutions".

Spain believes Iran "must make gestures" but "we think that the framework for a solution, including sanctions, should be global, in this case the UN," the source said.

Portugal, which holds the EU's rotating presidency, said Thursday that the sanctions issue would be debated at the next meeting of EU foreign ministers, in Luxembourg on October 15.

"We'll see what the reaction of the other ministers will be," said presidency spokesman Manuel Carvalho.

Portugal's careful approach can be explained, in part, by the reservations among countries like Germany and Italy, which both have important economic interests in Iran.

Berlin's stance is key.

Along with permanent UN Security Council members Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States, Germany has led efforts to convince Iran to suspend uranium enrichment in exchange for political and economic incentives.

burs/gh/smc

Community
Email This Article
Comment On This Article

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NKorean disarmament prospects dim despite landmark deal
Beijing (AFP) Oct 4, 2007
While the United States has hailed the latest deal to end North Korea's nuclear weapons programmes as a big step forward, analysts warned Thursday that total disarmament remained a very dim prospect.







  • Russian Silkworms Spin First Space Silk In History
  • First Test: Main Parachute For Ares I Rocket
  • Iowa State Engineer Develops Technology To Quickly Find Leaks In Spacecraft
  • European Agency Offers To Take Indians For A Space Ride

  • Are manned missions needed to explore Mars and beyond
  • Duck Bay, Victoria Crater, Planet Mars
  • Spirit Arrives At Stratigraphic Wonderland In Columbia Hills On Mars
  • Spirit Makes Progress Across Home Plate

  • Ariane 5 Cleared For Intelsat 11 And Optus D2 Mission
  • Russian Space Launch Vehicle Firing Tests Set For 2008
  • Arianespace To Launch Japanese Satellite JCSAT-12
  • United Launch Alliance Launches 75th Consecutive Delta II On USAF 60th Anniversary

  • Successful Image Taking By The High Definition Television
  • Boeing Launches WorldView-1 Earth-Imaging Satellite
  • New Faraway Sensors Warn Of Emerging Hurricane's Strength
  • Key Sensor For Northrop Grumman NPOESS Program Passes Critical Structural Test

  • Maneuver Puts New Horizons On A Straight Path To Pluto
  • Outbound To The Outerplanets At 7 AU
  • Charon: An Ice Machine In The Ultimate Deep Freeze
  • New Horizons Slips Into Electronic Slumber

  • The Dark Matter Of The Universe Has A Long Lifetime
  • Into The Chrysalis
  • A New Reduction Of The Hipparcos Catalogues
  • Explosion Reveals Tiny Magnetic Island

  • A New Lunar Impact Observatory
  • Lunar Outpost Plans Taking Shape
  • Asia could win next 'Space Race', US scientists fear
  • Japan plans two more moon missions

  • New York taxi cabs sound the horn for second strike
  • EU deadlocked over funding for Galileo satnav project
  • EU plans for funding Galileo satnav system already hitting snags
  • Galileo GPS Network Hit By More Delays

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement