by Staff Writers
Stockholm (AFP) Dec 11, 2014
Sweden brought back the option Thursday of using reservists to boost its military force, citing "Russian rearmament" as one of the reasons for the decision.
"We see how the world around us has changed in a negative way: partly the Russian rearmament, partly Russia's annexation of Crimea and the armed conflict in Ukraine," Swedish Defence Minister Peter Hultqvist told public broadcaster SVT.
The government decision reversed a 2010 vote by parliament that ended compulsory military service and suspended the possibility of calling up former conscripts and volunteers for compulsory re-training.
Now the Swedish armed forces can oblige 7,500 Swedes -- who received military training between 2004 and 2011 -- to participate in training exercises from the end of 2015, Hultqvist told SVT.
"With this decision the armed forces can carry out exercises with fully-manned military units, which will mean an increase in operational capacity," the defence minister said in a statement.
The decision does not require a new parliamentary vote and will apply for ten years.
Sweden, which has a long tradition of neutrality and remains outside NATO, has had an intense security debate in recent years, after a decade of military cutbacks and an uptick in Russian airforce activity near its Baltic Sea airspace.
Since the end of military service in 2010 the Swedish armed forces have struggled to attract new recruits.
When Russia staged a simulated bomber attack on the capital Stockholm in early 2013, the country's airforce failed to respond, prompting the chief of the armed forces to say the country lacked the ability to defend itself for more than a week.
A week-long hunt for a suspected Russian submarine in October led to an increased committment to the country's military from the Social Democrat-led government which took power in September.
"We will defend our territorial integrity with all available means," Prime Minister Stefan Loefven said, issuing a stark warning against any future incursions.
Dutch sell armored vehicles to Estonia
The deal for 44 of the vehicles, made by BAE Systems Hagglunds AB in Sweden, is worth more than $123.9 million and was finalized earlier this week.
The contract also includes two bridge-layer vehicles, two recovery and two combat engineer tank variants of the Leopard 1 tank.
Training, documentation, tools and spare parts are also part of the agreement.
"The infantry combat vehicles will take Estonia's fighting power to a new level," said Estonian Minister of Defense Sven Mikser. "It is one of the three main priorities of the national defense development plan alongside self-propelled artillery and the recently completed procurement of the Javelin anti-tank missile systems."
The CV90 first entered service in 1993 with Sweden and can carry eight soldiers in addition to its crew.
Delivery of the vehicles will begin in 2016 and be completed in 2018.
The two governments said Dutch military personnel will train Estonian Defense Forces on use of the vehicles starting next year.
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|