by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) May 23, 2017
Chinese tourist numbers to South Korea plunged by two-thirds in April after Beijing banned tour groups over Seoul's deployment of a US missile defence system, official statistics showed.
Beijing imposed a boycott from March 15 on Chinese tour groups visiting the South in a spat over the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system.
Washington and Seoul say it is purely to defend against threats from nuclear-armed North Korea, but Beijing fears it could undermine its own nuclear deterrent and has reacted with fury, imposing a series of measures seen as economic retaliation.
April was the first full month of the ban, and saw a total of 227,811 Chinese tourists visiting South Korea, down 66.6 percent on the 682,318 a year earlier, according to the state-run Korea Tourism Organization (KTO).
Total visitor numbers were down 27.2 percent from last year to 1.07 million, KTO said, blaming a "huge decline in Chinese visitors due to China's ban on tours to South Korea".
The tumbling figures have taken a heavy toll on duty-free shops in South Korea.
Sales to Chinese visitors were down 40 percent at Lotte Duty Free, a Lotte spokesman said previously, adding that they usually make up 70 percent of the company's overall sales.
The South Korean retail giant has been trying to make up for the loss but has been unsuccessful so far, he said, adding: "I'm not hopeful of a recovery anytime soon."
Lotte, the South's fifth largest conglomerate, has had to shut down dozens of its stores in China due to boycott calls after the group agreed to provide a golf course in South Korea as a site for THAAD.
Its accumulated losses as a result are reportedly expected to hit $1 billion in the first half of this year alone.
South Korea has been struggling to fill the gap with promotional campaigns to attract more visitors from other countries, mainly from Japan and those in Southeast Asia.
But Japanese travellers have also been put off by "negative media reports" about rising regional tensions over the North, KTO said, with their numbers falling 5.4 percent year-on-year in April.
Seoul (AFP) May 22, 2017
North Korea on Monday declared its medium-range Pukguksong-2 missile ready for deployment after a weekend test, the latest step in its quest to defy UN sanctions and develop a weapon capable of striking US targets. The state-run Korean Central News Agency said the North's leader Kim Jong-Un oversaw Sunday's launch, which sparked a fresh chorus of international condemnation and threats of tou ... read more
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|