by Staff Writers
Johannesburg (AFP) Feb 04, 2013
A charity has withdrawn assistance from flood-torn Mozambique's biggest displaced persons' camp after its administrators allegedly plotted to steal food meant for thousands of people, a report said Monday.
Camp officials near the southern town of Chokwe put down their own names for aid worth $225,000 (166,000 euros), Gift of the Givers organisation told South Africa's The Times.
"Things went wrong because of the Mozambican government officials," Imtiaz Sooleiman, the head of the South African-based non-governmental organisation, said.
"They were taking from the people we were meant to be helping," he added. "We discovered these bogus and fictitious lists with people not in need of anything."
Mozambique has called for millions of dollars in foreign aid after the deluge left dead 68 and affected as many as 250,000, according to the United Nations.
Good governance NGO Transparency International last year scored the poor southern African nation 123rd out of 178 countries on its Corruption Perceptions Index.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|