by Staff Writers
Brasília (AFP) April 25, 2017
Chinese conglomerate HNA has agreed to buy a stake in Rio de Janeiro's airport from the corruption-tainted Brazilian firm Odebrecht, a government official said Tuesday.
HNA will take over from Odebrecht as the joint holder of a controlling stake in Tom Jobim airport, Brazil's second busiest air hub with some 17 million passengers a year.
"The Odebrecht-HNA deal is closed. Only the paperwork remains," a senior economy official in the government, Tarcisio de Freitas, told AFP.
HNA runs airlines, airports and hotels among other operations.
It will hold $8 billion stake in the airport as one half of a consortium along with Singaporean firm Changi Airports International.
Odebrecht is caught up in a sprawling corruption scandal rocking Brazilian politics, targeted by an investigation dubbed Lava Jato, or Operation Car Wash.
Former executives of the firm have admitted paying bribes to secure contracts and have pointed the finger at numerous politicians in the hope of getting lighter sentences.
"A company involved in Lava Jato that has no rating and credit is leaving" the airport consortium, de Freitas said.
"The operation of the service continues and HNA, which is a healthy company, is coming in."
HNA and Changi will jointly hold a 51 percent stake in the airport in a consortium dubbed RioGaleao. The remaining 49 percent is held by the Brazilian state.
Sydney (AFP) April 21, 2017
Missing flight MH370 "most likely" lies north of a former search zone in the remote Indian Ocean, Australian authorities said Friday, in a new report that offers hope the plane may one day be found. A vast underwater hunt for the Malaysia Airlines jet off Australia's west coast was halted in January when no trace was found of the plane, which disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing ... read more
Aerospace News at SpaceMart.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|