Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. 24/7 Space News .

Issues with satellite knocked out channels to 117M Russians
by Staff Writers
Moscow (UPI) Jul 6, 2013

disclaimer: image is for illustration purposes only

Problems with a Russian telecom satellite left 117 million residents of central Russia without reception for four government-run channels, officials said.

Contact with the satellite was lost Thursday when its antennas were incorrectly positioned, RIA Novosti reported.

The cause of the satellite's malfunction was not reported, but the Ministry of Communications and Mass Media said it was working to restore communication with it.

Two channels that were affected -- Rossia-1 and Channel One -- were restored within about an hour for 90 percent of viewers in the affected area, the ministry said Friday in a statement on its website.

However, the Culture Channel and Fifth Channel were still disrupted as of Saturday.

The ministry said broadcasting would be fully restored within 10 days for 98 percent of the affected area. The remaining 2 percent may have to wait as long as three months for the channels to be restored.


Related Links
The latest information about the Commercial Satellite Industry

Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Armenia to Launch Its First Satellite
Moscow (RIA Novosti) Jun 25, 2013
The ex-Soviet republic of Armenia will launch its own satellite into the orbit, a governmental official said Friday. A newly created company called Armcosmos is currently busy registering an orbital position for the upcoming satellite, said Gagik Grigoryan, a senior official with the Transportations and Communications Ministry. The price tag for Armenia's space program is $250 millio ... read more

Scientist says Earth may once have been orbited by two moons

Dust hazard for Moon missions: scientists

NASA Seeks Information on Commercial Robotic Lunar Lander Capabilities

Orbiting astronaut controls robot on Earth, testing feasibility of CU-Boulder project on far side of the moon

NASA's next Mars rover will advance hunt for past life

Opportunity's Improbable Anniversary

Dry run for the 2020 Mars Mission

Opportunity Clocks Up 37 Kilometers Of Roving Mars

Space seeds could "benefit" traditional Chinese medicines

Kennedy Facilities Key to NASA's Transition

Voyager 1 Explores Final Frontier Of Our Solar Bubble

NASA's Voyager 1 approaches outer limit of solar system

China's space tracking ship Yuanwang-5 berths at Jakarta for replenishment

China plans to launch Tiangong-2 space lab around 2015

Twilight for Tiangong

China calls for international cooperation in manned space program

Russia to go ahead with space freighter launch

ISS technology to 'hear' potential leaks

Russian cosmonauts conduct space station tasks in spacewalk

Accelerating ISS Science With Upgraded Payload Operations Integration Center

Premature launch said likely cause of Russian rocket failure

Europe okays design for next-generation rocket

Kazakh PM orders to form govt commission to assess environmental impact from Proton crash

Analysis of telemetry data of crashed Proton rocket flight completed

Hubble Telescope reveals variation between hot extrasolar planet atmospheres

UCSB Astronomer Uncovers The Hidden Identity Of An Exoplanet

Gas-Giant Exoplanets Cling Close to Their Parent Stars

Astronomers Detect Three 'Super-Earths' in Nearby Star's Habitable Zone

Saarland University scientists reveal structure of a supercooled liquid

Laser and optical glass can store data for millions of years

Mainz laser system allows determination of atomic binding energy of the rarest element on earth

After millennia of mining, copper nowhere near 'peak'

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement