White House Says It Is Not Looking At Weaponizing Space
The White House said Wednesday that it is not looking at weaponizing space in the face of a newspaper report stating the US Air Force was seeking presidential authority that could lead to such a program.
"Let me make that clear right off the top, because you asked about the weaponization of space, and the policy that we're talking about is not looking at weaponizing space," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters.
However, McClellan said that the administration of US President George W. Bush wants to ensure that its space assets are adequately protected.
"We have a draft updated national space policy that is going through the interagency review process," he said.
McClellan spoke in the wake of a New York Times report Wednesday which said the US Air Force was seeking a national security directive from President Bush that could lead to fielding offensive and defensive space weapons.
An unidentified senior administration official, cited by the Times, said a new presidential directive to replace a 1996 policy that emphasized a more pacific use of space is expected within weeks.
McClellan said that Bush had directed in June 2002 "that there be a review of our national space policies."
The White House spokesman said it had been "about seven or eight years" since US space policy had been updated.
"And certainly during the last eight or nine years there have been a number of domestic and international developments that have changed the threats and challenges facing our space capabilities," McClellan said.
"And so the space policy needed to be updated to take into account those changes. And at this point it's still going through that review process.
"We believe in the peaceful exploration of space," he stressed.
Officials told the Times that the aim of the directive was not to place weapons permanently in orbit - which is banned under the 30-year-old Antiballistic Missile Treaty the US withdrew from in 2002 - but to use space as a platform for weapons systems currently being developed.
The daily mentioned Air Force programs such as Global Strike, calling for a military space plane carrying precision-guided weapons that could strike from halfway around the world in 45 minutes.
The 'Rods From God' program aims to launch cylinders of tungsten, titanium or uranium from space to strike targets on the ground at speeds of about 11,500 kilometers per hour (7,200 miles per hour) with the force of a small nuclear weapon.
Other programs call for bouncing lethal laser beams off orbiting mirrors or high-altitude blimps, or turning radio waves into heat weapons. In April the Air Force launched an experimental XSS-11 microsatellite able to disrupt reconnaissance and communications satellites.
The national security directive under consideration, the Times added, reflects three years of work prompted by a 2001 report from a commission headed by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld recommending that the military "ensure that the president will have the option to deploy weapons in space."
The Air Force's determination to field space weapons has also been accelerated by its failure to build an earth-based missile defense system after 22 years and nearly 100 billion dollars, Pentagon officials said.
However, in addition to the technical difficulties of developing reliable space weapons and the strong opposition they will elicit among US allies, experts said, the major hurdle to getting the new initiative off the ground will be getting Congress to approve its enormous price tag, which is tentatively estimated at between 220 billion and one trillion dollars.
All rights reserved. � 2004 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
Subscribe To SpaceDaily Express
Rumsfeld Accuses Base Closure Commission Of Divulging Classified Information
Washington (AFP) May 16, 2005
US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld charged Monday that an independent commission may have divulged classified information in a report that criticized the Pentagon's plans for withdrawing US forces from overseas bases.
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2016 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|