SPACE WIRE
Calm returns to Turkish town after deadly quake provokes protests
BINGOL, Turkey (AFP) May 03, 2003
Calm returned to the eastern Turkish town of Bingol Saturday after violent protests erupted over the official handling of a deadly earthquake in the region.

Armed police patrols were still evident in front of the governor's offices in the mainly Kurdish town, where the worst violence took place, but their numbers were considerably reduced.

No serious ioncident was reported overnight, an officer told AFP.

About 200 children were trapped early Thursday when the earthquake measuring 6.4 on the Richter scale hit the poverty-stricken mainly Kurdish province of Bingol, killing 127 people and injuring nearly 540 others across the region.

Bingol's deputy governor Ahmet Aydin told Anatolia news agency that 117 of the pupils in Celtiksuyu survived the disaster, while 46 children and one teacher were killed.

He estimated that up to 40 children were still buried.

In nearby Bingol police clashed with crowds protesting at the slow distribution of tents following the tremor.

Angry parents and experts have blamed the death toll in the boarding school on poor building standards, and authorities announced Friday that a probe had been launched against the company that built the school.

Disregard for building regulations and widespread fraud in Turkey's construction sector have long been blamed for thousands of casualties that the quake-prone country has suffered in recent years.

In chaotic scenes, security forces fired dozens of rounds in the air with automatic rifles as many protestors threw themselves on the ground.

The unrest, which underscored tensions between authorities and the region's mainly Kurdish population, resulted in the sacking of the city's police chief.

The incident erupted when several hundred people gathered in front of the governor's office to ask for tents after spending the night in the streets as a precaution against aftershocks.

Police intervened when the angry crowd resisted orders to disperse and chanted anti-government slogans, while several people attempted to storm the office of the governor.

The rage flared when a police van drove into the crowd, injuring two people.

Protestors attacked the security forces with sticks and stones and pounded police vehicles as well as private cars with iron bars.

More bursts of gunfire echoed in the city as policemen continued to shoot in the air, taking cover behind buildings and plastic shields, in running battles with protestors.

Several people, among them journalists, were injured in the unrest, which abated after Ankara announced the sacking of the police chief.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that "according to information from intelligence sources, there have been very serious acts of provocation" aimed at disrupting public order.

He said relief work in the area was on track and called on the quake victims to show patience.

Protestors, however, disagreed.

"The aid is not distributed equally. Relatives and acquaintances of parliament members receive more," said Fahrettin Demirel. "We were expecting understanding, but we were answered with bullets."

Relations between Bingol's Kurdish population and the security forces have been strained for years over an armed separatist rebellion in the region.

Governor Avni Cos said the injuries were the result of provocation "by elements of the old independentist PKK Kurdish rebels".

Hopes were fading of finding any more survivors of the quake.

Cries for help from under the rubble that had led rescuers to scores of survivors died away Friday and heavy earth-moving machines were given the go-ahead to start removing the debris.

"Neither the listening devices nor the dogs were able to detect any sound. I cannot say I am hopeful but there is always a chance and we will work until the end," one rescuer said.

Another added: "The possibility of finding people alive is now very low."

SPACE.WIRE