Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. 24/7 Space News .

Shocks hit Italy quake zone as rescuers search for missing
by Staff Writers
Crevalcore, Italy (AFP) May 30, 2012

Dozens of aftershocks hit northeastern Italy overnight as thousands of jittery survivors spent the night in tent camps after the region's second killer quake in days.

Tuesday's quake killed at least 16 people and injured 350 just nine days after a similar disaster killed six people and left thousands homeless.

Residents in cities across northern and central Italy including Pisa and Venice rushed into the streets in panic when the quake struck 60 kilometres (40 miles) east of Parma at 0700 GMT, as many were arriving for work.

Just a few hours later, already shaken residents endured a terrifying five-minute ordeal when the region was struck by three tremors of between 5.1 and over 5.3 magnitude, sparking panic and bringing down weakened buildings.

Rescue workers were searching for one person still missing Wednesday.

A 65-year-old woman was the last person to be pulled alive from the rubble Tuesday night, after firemen heard her cries. She was saved by sheltering under a kitchen table as the five-storey building in the town of Cavezzo collapsed.

Workers at a destroyed precision mechanics factory near Modena where three of their colleagues died, told how they ran for their lives as the ground shook, ripping the building in two and sending masonry crashing to the ground.

"Everything happened so fast, in about seven to eight seconds. I don't even remember. I ran out carrying the piece I was working on and I saw everything crumble," said one worker who gave his name as Daniel.

"The quake was so violent," he said, trembling with shock, adding that he feared being trapped in the shaking building.

As the dust began to settle in the moments following the quake, those who had made it to safety realised that three people -- an Italian, as well as an Indian and a Moroccan -- had been killed in the collapse.

"I'm grief-stricken, speechless. I have no tears left to shed," Daniel added, saying he had worked with the dead men at the close-knit Meta factory in San Felice sul Panaro for years.

One victim had been living in a tent at a camp since the May 20 6.0-magnitude quake which left six people and around 7,000 living in makeshift dwellings, after many homes and historic buildings were reduced to rubble.

"I have to leave the building, we're being hit by a long, powerful tremor. I have to get out," a civil protection agency spokesman in Mantua told AFP as one of the tremors struck.

"Everything's collapsed, it's chaos, buildings across the town are down," a fireman in the tiny town of Cavezzo told Corriere della Sera newspaper.

Officials in the Emilia Romagna region said over 5,000 people had been evacuated from their homes, adding to the thousands already homeless after the May 20 quake.

The national geographics institute said the region had been hit overnight by a series of quakes, the strongest of which -- 3.54 magnitude -- was registered at 0315 GMT, and many feared the nightmare was not over.

Monday "was the first night we'd spent back in our homes after the first quake. Then another one hit," one resident told Italian television in Sant'Agostino, scattered with buildings with gaping holes in their sides.

Among the quake victims was a parish priest in the town of Rovereto di Novi who was killed by a falling beam after he went back into his church to save a Madonna statue.

Dust hung in the air in the picturesque towns of Carpi and Concordia, while in Mirandola rubble covered the Duomo floor and the roof gaped open to the sky.

In Mantua, the Ducal Palace -- famous for a stunning collection of frescoes in the Wedding Room -- was damaged, along with a number of historic churches.

"A new quake has hit the Emilia Romagna region, leaving victims, wounded people and damaged buildings in its wake," Prime Minister Mario Monti said.

As the region took stock of the damage to national heritage treasures, there were calls for an investigation into why the wreckage was so extensive.

"It is natural to have earthquakes, it is not natural for buildings to fall down like this. It doesn't happen in other countries," said Welfare Minister Elsa Fornero.

Pope Benedict XVI sent his condolences to the families of the victims.

The region has been hit by a series of quakes and aftershocks over the past two weeks. Authorities have registered at least 800 tremors since May 20.

The latest disasters struck just over three years after a 6.3-magnitude quake devastated the city of L'Aquila in central Italy in March 2009, killing some 300 people and leaving tens of thousands homeless.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest

Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

Death toll rises to 16 in quake-struck Italy
San Felice Sul Panaro, Italy (AFP) May 29, 2012
A strong earthquake on Tuesday rocked northeastern Italy, killing at least 16 people and injuring 350 just days after another quake in the same region wrought death and destruction. One woman was pulled out alive from the rubble in the town of Cavezzo Tuesday evening, officials said. Rescuers spent the day combing through the debris for the one person Italy's civil protection authority s ... read more

NASA Lunar Spacecraft Complete Prime Mission Ahead of Schedule

NASA Offers Guidelines To Protect Historic Sites On The Moon

Neil Armstrong gives rare interview - to accountant

Perigee "Super Moon" On May 5-6

Waking Up with the Sun's Rays

NASA Funded Research Shows Existence of Reduced Carbon on Mars

Did Ancient Mars Have a Runaway Greenhouse?

Opportunity Drives to Dusty Patch of Soil

New Moon for India

Boeing Completes Software PDR Of New Crew Ship

NASA hails 'new era' in exploration

CU astronaut-alumnus Scott Carpenter looks back at 50th anniversary of Aurora 7 mission

China launches telecommunication satellite

Tiangong 1 Ready To Meet Shenzhou 9

Sri Lanka plans to launch its first satellite in 2015

When Will Shenzhou 9 Be Launched

Capillarity in Space - Then and Now, 1962-2012

Dragon on board

SpaceX Launches Falcon 9 Dragon on Historic Mission

SpaceX Dragon Transports Student Experiments to Space Station

US cargo vessel prepares to leave space station

Once Upon a Time

BC Company Becomes First Official Producer and Distributor of Replica SpaceX Spacecraft

Intelsat Signs First Commercial Falcon Heavy Launch Agreement with SpaceX

Newfound exoplanet may turn to dust

Cosmic dust rings no guarantee of planets

In search of new 'Earths' beyond our Solar System

Free-floating planets in the Milky Way outnumber stars by factors of thousands

Zooming in on bacterial weapons in 3D

BlackBerry maker facing critical test this year

Samsung releases Chrome desktop computer

Japan firm unveils radiation-gauging smartphone

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement