by Staff Writers
Moscow (RIA Novosti) Sep 05, 2012
Russia will delay launches of military spacecraft this year because of a failed satellite launch last month, a top defense official said on Tuesday.
The delays will be "insignificant," Russian Space Forces Commander Lt. Gen. Oleg Ostapenko said.
Two telecommunictaions satellites were lost on August 7 due to a failure in the Russian Proton-M rocket's upper stage.
Ostapenko said the launches will be put on hold until the findings of a government probe into the incident are fully looked into, as the Briz-M upper stages are also used to hoist military spacecraft into orbit.
Several senior space officials have been sacked over the failure.
Source: RIA Novosti
Station and More at Roscosmos
S.P. Korolev RSC Energia
Russian Space News
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|