by Staff Writers
Stockholm (AFP) Oct 10, 2012
Two Greenpeace activists who broke into a Swedish nuclear plant managed to remain undetected for 38 hours before leaving the site voluntarily, the environmental group said Wednesday.
The pair were part of more than 60 activists who on Tuesday morning entered two of Sweden's three nuclear plants to highlight security weaknesses and concerns over the safety of the decades-old facilities.
"Our two activists left by themselves to be on the evening TV news. They were never found," Greenpeace Sweden spokesman Daniel Bengtsson said.
"It's really surprising that they were able to stay hidden for so long. We thought we'd stay for 24 hours, and it's been 38 hours."
While the two were able to avoid detection at the eastern Forsmark facility, other activists who had entered the southern Ringhals plant were found by police on Wednesday afternoon.
Eva Hallden, director of the Ringhals plant, told the TT news agency that the security response would have been more intense if the intruders had been considered dangerous.
The government has called on Vattenfall, which operates both plants, to explain the fiasco.
Environment Minister Lena Ek said during a press conference that the government would consider measures to improve security.
Some 35 percent of electricity in Sweden is generated from nuclear power.
Results of the European Union's stress tests of European nuclear reactors have showed that immediate safety upgrades costing billions of euros (dollars) are needed in power plants "nearly everywhere" in Europe.
Many of the EU's 132 reactors failed to meet international safety standards, according to the report released last week, which was commissioned in the aftermath of Japan's Fukushima disaster in March last year.
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Russia says wants end to US arms disposal plan
Moscow (AFP) Oct 10, 2012
Russia said Wednesday it had notified the United States it no longer wanted to extend a two-decade-old US-funded arms disposal initiative that has helped Moscow decommission thousands of nuclear warheads. The unexpected announcement came just weeks after the Kremlin asked a key US democracy development programme to leave Moscow in the latest deterioration in relations under President Vladimi ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|