by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) June 18, 2012
North Korea accused the United States on Monday of building up military forces in the region and vowed to strengthen its own defences "in every way".
The comments came one day after the communist state said it would bolster its nuclear deterrent in the face of what it called US antagonism.
Tensions on the peninsula have been high in recent months, following repeated threats by Pyongyang against Seoul and the North's failed long-range rocket launch in April.
South Korean and US forces will hold their largest joint live-fire military exercise Friday to showcase their "watertight defence posture and war-fighting capabilities", Seoul's defence ministry said.
The North's foreign ministry described what it termed a US arms buildup as an "open provocation" to Pyongyang and a prelude to a regional war.
The spokesman's comments on the official news agency cited the disclosure last week that US forces based in the South are seeking more attack helicopters and stronger missile defence systems.
The spokesman also mentioned a naval exercise involving South Korea, the US and Japan, to be held Thursday and Friday south of the peninsula.
South Korean and US naval forces, including a US aircraft carrier, will also hold manoeuvres in the Yellow Sea for three days starting Saturday.
The North also blasted last Thursday's Washington meeting between the US and South Korean defence and foreign ministers. It said their aim was to discuss "making South Korea an advance base for the implementation of the US strategy for domination over Asia".
The North said the US arms buildup "is a prelude to a regional war targeting not only the DPRK (North Korea) but also several Northeast Asian countries..."
Pyongyang would "increase its self-defence capabilities in every way to protect sovereignty and dignity of the country and nation".
Some Seoul analysts believe the North may engineer a border clash as new leader Kim Jong-Un tries to bolster his status with the military.
There is also speculation it will conduct another nuclear test, although Pyongyang has said it has no plans at present to do so.
The South's defence ministry said Friday's joint drill will involve some 2,000 troops, F-15K and KF-16 jet fighters, and light-attack planes.
Four US Apache attack helicopters as well as tanks and rocket launchers will fire thousands of rounds during the drill in Pocheon county, near the border.
The exercise is timed to mark the 62nd anniversary of the start of the three-year Korean War, which began with a North Korean invasion on June 25.
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
US, SKorea say path open for N.Korea
Washington (AFP) June 14, 2012
The United States and South Korea called Thursday on North Korea to end "provocative behavior," but Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said young leader Kim Jong-Un still had a chance to change. In joint talks between foreign and defense ministers, the two countries pledged a united front if North Korea carries out a new nuclear test and said they were stepping up cooperation in areas includ ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|