by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) Sept 29, 2012
North Korea on Saturday accused the South of instigating clashes around the disputed sea border to rally support for the ruling conservative party ahead of December's presidential election.
A spokesman for the North's powerful National Defence Commission claimed the South's "warmongers" were "infiltrating warships deep into the territorial waters... almost every day".
He said the South's warships had recently opened fire without prior warnings at fishing boats operating near the disputed maritime border. The North has claimed the fishing boats were from China.
The South is now seeking to justify the infiltrations and shooting incident as measures for defending the "northern limit line", he said in a statement.
"And Park Geun-Hye and other ambitious politicians are using them for stepping up the presidential campaign," the spokesman said.
The North never recognized the border line, unilaterally drawn by the US-led United Nations forces at the end of the Korean War to prevent naval clashes between the two Koreas.
Weeks of repeated incursions by North Korean fishing vessels over the disputed Yellow Sea border culminated in the South Korean navy firing warning shots last week to push the boats back.
Pyongyang earlier denounced the "shooting rampage" and threatened to respond with a "powerful strike of the (North's) front units which know of no limit".
The statement Saturday came after Seoul this week threatened a strong military response to any provocative act by the communist state aimed at influencing the December 19 vote, in which Park, the ruling conservative party candidate, hopes to become South Korea's first woman president.
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Work halted at N. Korea rocket launch pad: website
Seoul (AFP) Sept 25, 2012
New satellite imagery shows North Korea has halted work at a launch pad capable of testing intercontinental missiles, possibly setting the project back by up to two years, a US website reported Tuesday. The commercial satellite images taken on August 29 also show construction postponed on crucial fuel and oxidizer buildings designed to support future tests near the new pad, the 38 North webs ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|