Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
..
. 24/7 Space News .




INTERNET SPACE
Kim Dotcom launches successor to outlawed Megaupload
by Staff Writers
Auckland (AFP) Jan 20, 2013


'Massive' response to successor for outlawed Megaupload
Wellington (AFP) Jan 20, 2013 - New Zealand-based Internet tycoon Kim Dotcom claimed a "massive" response to his new file-sharing service launched Sunday, suggesting it could be the fastest growing start-up in history.

The mega.co.nz website, which replaces the outlawed Megaupload, went live at dawn, exactly a year after armed police stormed Dotcom's Auckland mansion and arrested him in the world's biggest online piracy case.

Dotcom, who wants his new venture to repeat the success of Megaupload, which boasted 50 million visitors daily, said there had been "massive" initial demand.

He initially tweeted there were "100,000 registered users in less than 1 hour. Fastest growing start-up in Internet history?" and reported an hour later the site was overloaded.

"Massive demand. Incredible," he tweeted before adding there were "250,000 user registrations. Server capacity on maximum load. Should get better when initial frenzy is over. Wow!!!"

Users complained about they had difficulty registering because of the overwhelming response.

"I can't even sign up, it's jammed," one potential client tweeted. "I can't get to the site," added another.

Mega promises to use state-of-the-art encryption to ensure only users, not the site administrators, know what they are uploading.

That would theoretically stop authorities from accusing administrators of knowingly aiding online piracy, the central allegation facing Dotcom in the Megaupload case.

The 38-year-old Dotcom, a German national who changed his name from Kim Schmitz, is on bail in New Zealand as US authorities seek his extradition on a range of charges including money laundering, racketeering and copyright theft.

They allege Megaupload sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows, music and other content.

Dotcom denies any wrongdoing and the charges, which carry jail terms of up to 20 years.

His extradition hearing is due to be heard in August.

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom hailed a "massive" response Sunday to his new file-sharing service with half a million users registering within hours, a year after his arrest in the world's biggest online piracy case.

The mega.co.nz website, which replaces the outlawed Megaupload, went live at dawn ahead of a lavish evening party at the New Zealand-based Internet tycoon's Auckland mansion, on the anniversary of the armed police raid that saw him arrested and the site shuttered.

The 38-year-old German national, who changed his name from Kim Schmitz, is now on bail as US authorities seek his extradition on a range of charges including money laundering, racketeering and copyright theft.

Dotcom hopes the new venture will repeat the success of Megaupload, which boasted 50 million visitors daily, and initial demand triggered overloads that caused long delays in accessing the site.

Despite the disruptions, Dotcom claimed one million visitors to the site in the first 14 hours and more than 500,000 registered users.

"Mega is going to be huge and nothing will stop Mega," he told journalists after earlier targeting US President Barack Obama when he launched Mega with the tweet: "As of this minute one year ago Megaupload was destroyed by the US government. Welcome to Mega.co.nz".

His lawyer Ira Rothken said they were satisfied the new service was legal and Dotcom believed it was the "most legally scrutinised start-up" ever, insisting it would be a torch bearer for online privacy.

The website offers offers cloud storage with state-of-the-art encryption to ensure only users, not the site administrators, know what they are uploading.

That would theoretically stop authorities from accusing administrators of knowingly aiding online piracy, the central allegation facing Dotcom in the Megaupload case.

"By using Mega, you say no to those who want to know everything about you. By using mega, you say no to governments that want to spy on you," he said.

Despite the system overloads, Dotcom expressed delight with the rollout, tweeting within an hour of the launch that there were already 100,000 users registered in possibly the "fastest growing start-up in Internet history".

An hour later, with 250,000 registrations, he said: "Site is still overloaded. Massive demand. Incredible." He said server capacity was on maximum load and that access should improve when the "initial frenzy is over".

Users took to Twitter to complain of difficulties in registering.

"I can't even sign up, it's jammed," one potential user tweeted. "I can't get to the site," added another.

At the launch party, which included a re-enactment of the raid a year ago including actors dressed as police commandos and circling helicopters tagged with the letters "FBI", Dotcom said the site's access issues were being addressed.

"We had a lot of users interested in the site, we've stabilised everything now," he said.

New Zealand Internet consultant Steve Simms said the problems appeared to be linked to delays in servers being updated to recognise the site certificate, as well as the overwhelming number of visitors seeking to sign up.

Dotcom, who has a reputation as a showman, was dressed for the launch in the same attire he was on the day of the raid, and said he still felt resentment at the way he was treated.

"Yes, of course. We didn't expect it at all and felt it was extremely unfair. 220 people lost their jobs overnight."

US authorities allege Megaupload sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows, music and other content.

Dotcom denies the charges, which carry jail terms of up to 20 years.

While on bail in New Zealand, his legal team have enjoyed a number of successes challenging the prosecution case, including a ruling that the police raid was illegal and a government admission that Dotcom was illegally spied upon before his arrest.

His extradition hearing is due to be heard in August.

.


Related Links
Satellite-based Internet technologies






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





INTERNET SPACE
Prosecutor defends handling on Internet activist case
Washington (AFP) Jan 17, 2013
A US prosecutor at the center of a controversy over the handling of a case involving an Internet activist who committed suicide has defended the government's actions as "appropriate." Assistant US Attorney Carmen Ortiz expressed regret over the death of Aaron Swartz, who was accused of illegally copying and distributing millions of academic articles from a database but said prosecutors were ... read more


INTERNET SPACE
US, Europe team up for moon fly-by

Russia to Launch Lunar Mission in 2015

US, Europe team up for moon fly-by

Mission would drag asteroid to the moon

INTERNET SPACE
Choosing the right people to go to Mars

ChemCam follows the 'Yellowknife Road' to Martian wet area

Mars image suggests ancient water flow

NASA Mars Rover Preparing to Drill Into First Martian Rock

INTERNET SPACE
Mathematical breakthrough sets out rules for more effective teleportation

Orion Teamwork Pays Off

Unilever Buys 22 Flights On XCOR Lynx Suborbiter For AXE Campaign

Iran renews plan to send monkey into space: reports

INTERNET SPACE
China to launch 20 spacecrafts in 2013

Mr Xi in Space

China plans manned space launch in 2013: state media

China to launch manned spacecraft

INTERNET SPACE
ESA workhorse to power NASA's Orion spacecraft

Competition Hopes To Fine Tune ISS Solar Array Shadowing

Embassy Gathers Elite Group of Space Policy Chiefs

NASA, Bigelow Officials to Discuss ISS Expandable Module

INTERNET SPACE
Africasat-1a to launch on first Ariane 5 launch in 2013

Roscosmos Releases Report On Proton Launch Anomaly

Russia plans replacement for Soyuz rocket

Arianespace's industry leadership will continue with 12 launcher family missions planned in 2013

INTERNET SPACE
Earth-size planets common in galaxy

NASA's Hubble Reveals Rogue Planetary Orbit For Fomalhaut B

NASA, ESA Telescopes Find Evidence for Asteroid Belt Around Vega

Kepler Gets a Little Help From Its Friends

INTERNET SPACE
New surfaces repel most known liquids

Sustainable reinforcement for concrete has newly discovered benefits

ECAPS signs contract with Skybox for complete propulsion system

Boeing Grows Composite Manufacturing Capability in Utah




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement