by Staff Writers
Tel Aviv (AFP) June 12, 2012
Israel will evacuate the entire population of Tel Aviv if it is hit by missiles, particularly if they have unconventional warheads, the commander in charge of Israel's central region told AFP.
Colonel Adam Zusman, chief of the Home Front Command in Israel's Gush Dan region, which encompasses the city of Tel Aviv and its environs, said an attack on the centre of the country would force massive evacuations.
"In case of a missile attack on the centre of Israel, especially unconventional, the population from Tel Aviv and other cities will be evacuated and relocated in other areas of the country," Zusman told AFP in an interview at the weekend.
"Massive evacuations will take place in case of unconventional attacks and if buildings are destroyed by a missile."
Zusman said Israel continued to face serious threats from Iran and its allies, the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah and Gaza's Hamas rulers.
"We estimate that in case of war, hundreds of missiles will hit Tel Aviv and its nearby cities. As a result of these attacks, there will be hundreds of Israeli casualties.
"In the next war, nobody will be able to drink a coffee in Dizengoff," he said, referring to a popular street in downtown Tel Aviv.
"Israeli civilians will have to face the threat. Today, every civilian is threatened in Israel."
Zusman said Israel has some of the "most sophisticated" anti-aircraft system in the world, but that the Jewish state could not count on any system for total protection.
"We are getting ready for the worst-case scenario."
He acknowledged that gaps in preparedness remain, with around 30 percent of the residents in the area under his command lacking gas masks.
But in other areas, he said, precautions had been taken, including the running of regular drills and the preparation of hospitals to deal with the potential of treating casualties while under attack.
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
US Navy awards Raytheon $338 million for Tomahawk
Tucson, AZ (SPX) Jun 12, 2012
The US Navy has awarded Raytheon a $338 million contract for the Tomahawk Block IV tactical cruise missile. The contract, which was announced by the Department of Defense on June 7, includes replenishment of weapons used during Operation ODYSSEY DAWN and procurement for the government's fiscal year 2012. "Tomahawk Block IV is important for U.S. national security because it enables commande ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|