Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
. 24/7 Space News .




SHAKE AND BLOW
Beijing floods caused 'significant losses': official
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) July 25, 2012


Rush on car emergency hammers after Beijing floods
Beijing (AFP) July 25, 2012 - Chinese drivers are rushing to buy emergency hammers after a number of people drowned in weekend floods because they were unable to get out of their submerged cars, state press said Wednesday.

At least 37 people died in Beijing on Saturday when the worst rainstorm ever recorded inundated streets in the Chinese capital, damaging homes and submerging vehicles.

The story of one man who drowned in his car on a Beijing ring road because he was unable to open the electric windows and rescuers could not open the doors has had heavy play on Chinese television.

"Normally our sales are not so good, but in the last two days there have been a lot of people asking about them," the Shenyang Daily quoted an auto parts vendor Zhu as saying, about the hammers used to smash glass.

"Today (Tuesday) I sold several dozens emergency hammers, people are buying them after watching the news reports."

Zhu said his most popular item was a 17-yuan ($2.70) emergency hammer that also included a flashing alarm light, a knife and a flash light.

On Wednesday, eight of the top 10 best selling automotive products on China's popular online shopping site Taobao were emergency hammers.

Searchers for some emergency hammers were up by nearly 1,500 percent, the website said.

Weekend floods in Beijing caused "significant losses" and casualty numbers are still being tallied, the head of the worst-hit district has said, as residents of China's capital question the official toll.

Authorities in Beijing have still not updated a statement issued late Sunday that said 37 people had been killed in Saturday's freak rain, the heaviest since records began more than 60 years ago, with another seven still missing.

But many residents of the city believe the true figure may be much higher, after rivers burst their banks and flooded major highways, submerging large numbers of vehicles.

In the worst-hit area of Fangshan, on the city's mountainous southwestern outskirts, distraught residents spoke of cars being swept away and said many people were still missing.

"The casualties, which is what everyone cares about, have brought about significant losses, and we are currently coming closer to tallying them up," Fangshan leader Qi Hong said in a briefing broadcast late Tuesday on state television.

Phone lines were down in some areas, making it difficult to communicate, he said. Altogether the storm is estimated to have caused losses of five billion yuan ($780 million) and destroyed 8,200 homes.

The state-run Xinhua news agency said emergency workers had pulled 84 vehicles from waters submerging a major highway between Beijing and Hong Kong. Three bodies were found, it said.

Beijing city spokeswoman Wang Hui, addressing concerns expressed on China's hugely popular microblogs, or weibos, insisted authorities would not cover up the true number of deaths and were working to identify bodies.

The city government "will make an announcement as soon as possible," Wang said at a briefing Tuesday, acknowledging that the lack of official updates had given rise to public suspicion.

She said authorities recognised the importance of disclosing casualty figures, citing the SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) epidemic of 2003 when China faced an international backlash for trying to cover up the disease.

Many people took to the weibos to criticise the official response to the disaster in China's rapidly modernising capital, which came at a time of heightened political sensitivity ahead of a 10-yearly handover of power.

Some said the scale of the death and destruction could have been lessened if the government had issued better warnings, including by SMS, and modernised ancient drainage systems.

On Wednesday, the city's government issued a fresh weather alert, warning of more heavy rainstorms, and sending it to residents by SMS for the first time.

Authorities have issued a "yellow alert", the third of five danger levels, warning of possible mudslides and landslides in mountainous areas such as Fangshan.

City authorities also announced that Beijing's mayor Guo Jinlong would be stepping down, sparking a flood of weibo postings -- many of which have since been deleted, apparently by censors -- speculating about the reasons for his departure. Many weibo users had called for his resignation.

Authorities said the move was unrelated to the floods and that Guo was stepping down to become Beijing's Communist party secretary, a more senior role.

.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





SHAKE AND BLOW
China censors coverage of deadly Beijing floods
Beijing (AFP) July 24, 2012
Beijing authorities have reportedly ordered Chinese media to stick to positive news about record weekend floods, after the death of at least 37 people sparked fierce criticism of the government. Censors also deleted microblog posts criticising the official response to the disaster in China's rapidly modernising capital, which came at a time of heightened political sensitivity ahead of a 10-y ... read more


SHAKE AND BLOW
Another Small Step for Mankind

Russia starts building Moon spaceship, eyes Lunar base

Plans to revisit Moon impeded by financial difficulties

Russia says no manned moon shots till 2018

SHAKE AND BLOW
Mystery of missing Mars signals solved

Slow-Going at Cape York for Opportunity

ExoMars program gathers strength

Opportunity Runs the First Martian Marathon

SHAKE AND BLOW
XCOR Releases Payload Users Guide for Lynx Suborbital Vehicle

NASA Offers Condolences on the Passing of Pioneering Astronaut Sally Ride

Sally Ride, first US woman in space dead at 61

America Invents Act is a game changer

SHAKE AND BLOW
Looking Forward to Shenzhou 10

Argentina, China ink space cooperation deal

Looking Forward to Shenzhou 10

Astronauts in good shape after return

SHAKE AND BLOW
White Stork Delivers New Research and Technology Investigations to ISS

Russian cargo ship fails to dock at ISS: NASA

Russian cargo ship fails to dock at ISS during tests

Japanese Rocket Sends Cargo to ISS

SHAKE AND BLOW
Initial build-up is underway for Arianespace's fifth Ariane 5 launch in 2012

U.S. Bank Helps Fuel Future Space Flight as Bank behind SpaceX

HYLAS 2 and Intelsat 20 are prepared for Arianespace's next Ariane 5 mission

Degradation Free Spectrometers Sounding Rocket

SHAKE AND BLOW
UCF Discovers Exoplanet Neighbor

Can Astronomers Detect Exoplanet Oceans

The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Dust

Study in Nature sheds new light on planet formation

SHAKE AND BLOW
Google unveils ultrafast wired home project

Stone Age tools help to streamline modern manufacturing

Headwall's Hyperspectral Sensors Set to Lift Off with NT Space

Cassidian announces passive radar system




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement