This major facility, located beneath Jinping Mountain in Sichuan's Liangshan Yi autonomous prefecture, reaches an astounding depth of 2,400 meters, establishing itself as the world's deepest and largest underground lab. Scientists are enthusiastic about the opportunities it presents.
The DURF's primary objective is to provide an environment free from interference for researchers studying dark matter, an elusive substance that constitutes a substantial portion of the universe's mass. One of the key advantages of its extreme depth is its ability to shield experiments from cosmic rays, which can disrupt observations.
Yue Qian, a professor at Tsinghua University, emphasized the significance of this location. "Thanks to its location, the DURF is exposed to a tiny flux of cosmic rays, which is only one hundred-millionth of that on the Earth's surface," he stated. This unique feature will greatly enhance the precision of dark matter detection experiments conducted within the facility.
Dark matter remains one of the most enigmatic components of the universe. While visible matter accounts for a mere 5 percent of the cosmos, dark matter and dark energy together constitute the remaining 95 percent. Understanding dark matter is crucial for unraveling the mysteries of the universe's structure and evolution.
The DURF is expected to play a pivotal role in advancing our knowledge in this area. Already, the facility has attracted the attention of ten research teams from leading Chinese universities and institutions, including Tsinghua University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University. These teams are now stationed at the DURF, poised to conduct groundbreaking scientific experiments.
Beyond its significance for particle physics and dark matter research, the DURF is set to become a comprehensive interdisciplinary deep underground scientific research center. It will encompass various scientific disciplines, including nuclear astrophysics and life sciences. Professor Yue Qian believes that the facility will "facilitate the development of China's research in relevant frontier fields."
The DURF's completion marks a significant milestone in China's pursuit of scientific excellence. It is the second phase of the China Jinping Underground Laboratory, a project jointly undertaken by Tsinghua University and the Yalong River Hydropower Development Company Ltd. The first phase of the lab, completed in 2010, has already achieved considerable success in dark matter direct detection experiments, positioning China as a leader in this field.
Based on a Xinhua News Agency article
|Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Axiom Space Chooses AWS to Power IT Infrastructure for Commercial Space Station
Sierra Space's Shooting Star Module Begins Rigorous Testing at NASA Facility
Russian Progress 86 spacecraft lifts off with supplies for ISS
NASA shuttle astronaut, scientist Mary Cleave remembered as 'trailblazer'
Iran hails capsule launch as step towards human spaceflight
Sidus Space and Bechtel join forces for Artemis Mobile Launcher 2
NASA Continues Progress on Artemis III Rocket Adapter with Key Joint Installation
NASA Tests In-Flight Capability of Artemis Moon Rocket Engine
On The Road Again: Sols 4030-4031
MAHLI Marathon: Sols 4025-4027
Farewell, Solar Conjunction 2023: Sols 4023-4024
Was There Life on Mars
CAS Space expands into Guangdong with new rocket engine testing complex
China's Lunar Samples on Display in Macao to Inspire Future Explorers
China Manned Space Agency Delegation Highlights SARs' Role in Space Program
Wenchang Set to Become China's Premier Commercial Space Launch Hub by Next Year
Iridium's New GMDSS Academy to Bolster Safety Training for Maritime Professionals
Embry-Riddle's Innovative Mission Control Lab prepares students for booming space sector
Ovzon and SSC close to sealing satellite communication contract worth $10M
A major boost for space skills and research in North East England
Transforming Waste into Strength: The Graphene Revolution in Concrete Recycling
The Rise of the Virtual Mission
Unlocking the secrets of natural materials
MIT engineers develop a way to determine how the surfaces of materials behave
Ice's crucial role in planet and comet formation mapped by Webb
Can signs of life be detected from Saturn's frigid moon
Discovery of planet too big for its sun throws off solar system formation models
Minimalist or maximalist? The life of a microbe a mile underground
Unwrapping Uranus and its icy moon secrets
Juice burns hard towards first-ever Earth-Moon flyby
Fall into an ice giant's atmosphere
Juno finds Jupiter's winds penetrate in cylindrical layers
|Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters