by Staff Writers
Paris (AFP) Oct 09, 2012
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday described North Korea's boast that it has missiles capable of reaching the US mainland as "alarming" and warned it would increase tension in the region.
Ban, a former foreign minister of South Korea, admitted he had no way of knowing if the claim issued by North Korea earlier on Tuesday was credible.
But in an interview with AFP, he said: "I read the report and it is quite an alarming statement by the DPRK (North Korea)."
"They should contribute to the reduction of tensions and this will only heighten tensions and create further distrust between South and North Korea," he added.
"Also, it is not the way to gain the trust of the international community. I sincerely hope that the DPRK authorities will sincerely engage in dialogue between the South and North as well as with neighbouring countries."
Ban said he concurred with the view of most analysts that the North Koreans were reacting to South Korea's announcement on Sunday of a new accord with the United States to almost triple the range of its missiles to 800 kilometres (500 miles).
The deal will give the South the capacity to hit targets across the North, as well as bringing parts of Japan and China into reach.
"Their reaction seems to come from the recent agreement between the Republic of Korea (South Korea) and the United States," Ban acknowledged. "However that is a totally separate issue."
Asked if he thought the military-dominated Communist regime in North Korea was blustering, Ban recalled the failure in April of a rocket launch that Pyongyang said was aimed at placing a satellite in orbit but the US and UN saw as an test for a potential intercontinental missile.
"Since the late 1990s they have been developing nuclear technology -- that is known fact," Ban added.
"They have failed in their test but I don't have any credible information about the level of their technology at this time."
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Raytheon awarded US Army contract for TOW missiles
Tucson AZ (SPX) Oct 09, 2012
Raytheon received a $349 million five-year, multi-year contract to provide heavy anti-tank, wireless precision-assault missiles for the U.S. government. Raytheon received the award during its third quarter. Under this contract, Raytheon will deliver 6,676 of the new wireless TOW (tube-launched, optically tracked, wireless-guided) missiles that receive commands from the gunner through a wir ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|