by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Aug 9, 2017
Five transgender women in the US military are suing President Donald Trump and the Pentagon over Trump's recent announcement he would reinstate a ban on transgender people serving in uniform.
In a lawsuit filed in federal court Wednesday, the five plaintiffs from the Air Force, Coast Guard and the Army said they faced uncertainty about their futures, including whether they would be fired or lose post-military and retirement benefits.
In a series of three tweets last month, Trump upended an Obama-era policy of more than a year that allowed transgender troops to serve openly.
His announcement came with little or no coordination with the Pentagon and landed while Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was on vacation, leaving the astonished department scrambling to come up with a coherent response.
The lawsuit was filed against Trump, Mattis and various other senior military officials by the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) and GLAAD, a legal advocacy group.
All the unidentified "Jane Doe" plaintiffs were previously men who have transitioned to being female.
"Trump's directive to exclude transgender people from military service has created a tidal wave of harms that have already been felt throughout our armed services," NCLR legal director Shannon Minter said.
"Transgender service members have been blindsided by this shift and are scrambling to deal with what it means for their futures and their families."
The lawsuit asserts that reinstating the transgender ban is unconstitutional.
The number of transgender troops among America's 1.3 million active duty service members is small, with estimates ranging from between 1,320 and 15,000.
On June 30, 2016, then defense secretary Ash Carter said the military could no longer discharge or deny re-enlistment to troops based solely on their gender identity.
That means transgender troops who were encouraged to come out under one administration now face getting booted under another -- a potential legal quagmire for the Pentagon.
In the two weeks since Trump's tweets, the White House has still not provided the Pentagon with clear directives on how it should implement a transgender ban, so the current policy remains in place for now.
A Pentagon spokesman said he could not comment on pending litigation.
Washington (UPI) Aug 4, 2017
More than 50 Democrats in Congress have signed a letter to Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford calling on them to refuse any unconstitutional ban on transgendered troops in the military. The letter is a response to President Donald Trump's tweets on July 26 that transgendered troops would not be permitted to serve in the military, t ... read more
The latest in Military Technology for the 21st century at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|