by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) July 12, 2013
Torrential rain and landslides in China have left more than 200 people dead or missing in recent days, state media and the government said as the country braced Friday for an approaching typhoon.
Landslides and floods in Sichuan province in the southwest had killed 31 people by Thursday, according to data from the ministry of civil affairs, with 166 more missing. More than two million people had been affected in the region, it added.
Another 13 people had died, with four missing, since Sunday in Yan'an in the northwest, where local authorities warned of a high risk of flooding and landslides, the state-run Xinhua news agency said.
Official figures also showed deaths in several other parts of the country, from the central provinces of Henan and Hubei to the northern region of Ningxia.
The government raised the flood alert status on the Yangtze river, warning of potential downpours and windstorms in the waterway's middle and lower reaches Saturday as Typhoon Soulik moves towards the Chinese coast, reported news portal people.com.cn.
President Xi Jinping has called on the authorities to "spare no efforts" in searching for people left missing in the landslides, according to a statement sent by the General Office of the Communist Party of China to Xinhua.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|