by Staff Writers
United Nations (AFP) Nov 16, 2011
Greek authorities seized almost 14,000 anti-chemical weapons suits from a North Korean ship possibly headed for Syria but did not disclose the find for nearly two years, diplomats said Wednesday.
The seizure was reported to the UN Security Council, which discussed the monitoring of nuclear sanctions against the isolated North, diplomats said.
The Greek operation was carried out in November 2009 but only reported to the United Nations in September, a diplomat told AFP on condition of anonymity in confirming the number of suits to protect against chemical weapons involved.
"It seems the shipment was headed for Latakia in Syria," a second diplomat said, noting that the Greek report to the council did not mention Syria.
"There is increasing concern because more and more of the violations before several sanctions committees seem to involve Syria."
Syria has already been linked to breaches of an arms embargo against Iran.
Both diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity as the report by the chairman of the North Korea sanctions committee, Portugal's UN Ambassador Jose Filipe Moraes Cabral, was given behind closed doors.
The UN Security Council ordered tough sanctions against North Korea after it staged nuclear weapons tests in 2006 and 2009.
The North pulled out of nuclear talks with China, the United States, Japan, Russia and South Korea in 2009 and efforts to kick start negotiations are struggling, with the United States and its allies saying that North Korea is not serious about disarmament.
In a comment sent on an official Twitter account, a British diplomat said it was "clear that North Korea (is) still violating" Security Council resolutions.
"Strong concerns in council about the ongoing proliferation efforts," added a German diplomat. Neither mentioned the seizure of the anti-chemical weapons suits.
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Photos show N.Korea progress on new reactor
Seoul (AFP) Nov 16, 2011
North Korea has made significant progress in building a new nuclear reactor but it is unlikely to become operational for two to three years, according to a website which published satellite photos. Pyongyang's official news agency said last week the light-water reactor at the Yongbyon complex would start operating soon but gave no date. The North says the experimental reactor and an asso ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|