Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
..
. 24/7 Space News .




SHAKE AND BLOW
Dozens missing as boats sink in South China Sea typhoon: Xinhua
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Sept 30, 2013


6.7-magnitude quake strikes remote Kermadec Islands
Wellington (AFP) Sept 30, 2013 - A 6.7-magnitude earthquake struck the remote, uninhabited Kermadec Islands Monday, but there was little chance of a Pacific-wide tsunami, officials said.

The temblor, which hit at a depth of 34 kilometres (21 miles) at the New Zealand-administered volcanic island group, was some 870 kilometres from the nearest major city Whangarei, in New Zealand, according to the US Geological Survey.

"Based on all available data a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected," the Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

The Kermadec Islands are located roughly equidistant to New Zealand's North Island and the Pacific nation of Tonga, and are uninhabited except for a permanent weather, radio and conservation station on Raoul Island.

They are part of the Pacific Ring of Fire, a hotbed of volcanic and earthquake activity at the intersection of several tectonic plates.

The Kermadecs frequently see large tremors, including three quakes in excess of 7.0-magnitude in 2011.

More than 70 people were missing after three Chinese boats sank in a powerful typhoon in the South China Sea, state media said on Monday, as Vietnam undertook mass evacuations.

So far 74 people have been confirmed missing as "three fishing boats have sunk since Sunday afternoon", China's official Xinhua news agency reported, citing maritime authorities.

They were caught in rough waters whipped up by Typhoon Wutip, which is expected to make landfall in Vietnam's central region later on Monday.

The boats -- which were together carrying 88 fishermen -- sank after they attempted to navigate gales near the Paracel Islands, about 330 kilometres (200 miles) from China's southern coast.

Altogether five boats carrying 171 people were caught in the stormy seas.

As of Monday around noon, rescuers had retrieved 14 survivors. A large-scale search and rescue effort has been mounted to find others, said Hainan Net, a website run by the government of China's southernmost province.

Ten ships, including three navy warships and six aircraft have been deployed for the rescue, the report said.

China's President Xi Jinping called for an "all-out rescue effort, urging local authorities to "do their utmost to find the missing or stranded and minimize casualties", Xinhua said.

But it added that rescue efforts have been hampered by strong gales and high waves.

The boats had come from the southern province of Guangdong.

China's maritime authority on Sunday raised its alert on the typhoon to orange, its second-highest of four levels, Xinhua reported.

Storm tides might strike the provinces of Guangdong, Hainan and Guangxi, it added, citing the National Marine Environmental Forecasting Centre.

Vietnam has so far evacuated 70,000 people from high-risk areas as it prepares for the typhoon, according to that country's national flood and storm control department.

"The typhoon is scheduled to make landfall at about 16:00 local time (1000 GMT) today in the central provinces - between Ha Tinh and Quang Tri," it said in a statement posted online.

Schools have been closed and all vessels along the central coastline have been ordered ashore, it added.

Xinhua earlier reported the number of missing at 75, though a later report said 74 people.

Updated figures could not be found on the websites of China's State Oceanic Administration or local maritime safety authority.

The Paracel islands are claimed by China, Vietnam and Taiwan, but Chinese fishermen often travel to the islands in search of bigger hauls.

A separate Typhoon Usagi last week left at least 25 people dead after crashing ashore in southern China, throwing transport systems into chaos and leaving tens of thousands of airline passengers stranded in Hong Kong.

That typhoon had prompted the highest-level alert from China's National Meteorological Centre.

The deaths occurred in Guangdong after the typhoon brought down trees and damaged roads. Dozens more were injured in accidents, state media said.

China's civil affairs ministry said 226,000 people were relocated due to that storm and more than 7,100 houses collapsed or were badly damaged.

.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





SHAKE AND BLOW
Mexico storms: 139 dead, 53 still missing
Mexico City (AFP) Sept 25, 2013
The death toll from twin storms that battered Mexico has risen to 139 from 130 while 53 people remain missing after a mudslide buried their village, officials said Wednesday. Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong said a further 35 people were injured in the landslides and floods that hit several states after tropical storms Ingrid and Manuel pummeled the country last week. The bigg ... read more


SHAKE AND BLOW
Mission to moon will boost research and awareness

Mighty Eagle Improves Autonomous Landing Software With Successful Flight

Watch Out for the Harvest Moon

Chang'e-3 lunar probe sent to launch site

SHAKE AND BLOW
First scoop of Mars soil contains 2 percent water: study

NASA Rover Inspects Pebbly Rocks at Martian Waypoint

Martian Life: Good or Bad?

Communications Tests Go the Distance for MAVEN

SHAKE AND BLOW
"GRAVITY" is Almost Here

International Partnership Releases Space Exploration Benefits Paper

Iran to send second monkey into space

Voyager's departure from the heliosphere

SHAKE AND BLOW
Chinese VP stresses peaceful use of space

China's space station to open for foreign peers

Last Days for Tiangong

China civilian technology satellites put into use

SHAKE AND BLOW
New space crew joins ISS on Olympic torch mission

Station Crew Readies for Cygnus' Sunday Arrival

American, two Russians take shortcut to space

Tech glitch delays space station berthing to Saturday

SHAKE AND BLOW
Arianespace and Astrium sign deal to begin production of 18 new Ariane 5 vehicles

Problems with Proton booster fixed

Decontamination continues at Baikonur after Proton abortive launc

Russia launches three communication satellites

SHAKE AND BLOW
How Engineers Revamped Spitzer to Probe Exoplanets

ESA selects SSTL to design Exoplanet satellite mission

Coldest Brown Dwarfs Blur Lines between Stars and Planets

NASA-funded Program Helps Amateur Astronomers Detect Alien Worlds

SHAKE AND BLOW
NGC Completes Safety of Flight Testing on Common Infrared Countermeasure System

Green photon beams more agile than optical tweezers

Space oddity: the mystery of 2013 QW1

Domain walls as new information storage medium




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement