Raytheon has delivered five STANDARD Missile-3 rounds to the Missile Defense Agency for deployment as a key element of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System.
The rounds are available for deployment on Aegis cruisers and destroyers to defend against short- to intermediate-range ballistic missile threats in the midcourse phase of flight or for flight testing.
Raytheon marked the first SM-3 delivery with a ceremony in Tucson on Oct. 22.
"Raytheon's deliveries of these STANDARD Missile-3s will help provide the United States with the first sea-based line of defense against a limited ballistic missile attack," said Ed Miyashiro, Raytheon's vice president for Naval Weapon Systems. "Our team is very proud of developing and delivering this needed capability."
As the prime contractor, Raytheon is responsible for the development and integration of the SM-3 "all up round," including the SM-3 kinetic warhead. Other SM-3 team members include Aerojet, Alliant Techsystems and The Boeing Company.
Since January 2002, the Aegis BMD system has successfully intercepted targets in space four times with SM-3. In all the flight tests, the SM-3 was launched from a U.S. Navy cruiser under very realistic, operational conditions.
There is already international interest in Aegis BMD and SM-3. Japan made the decision earlier this year to procure Aegis BMD and SM-3 missiles for its Kongo-class Aegis destroyers.
Raytheon is also responsible for the manufacture and deployment of the Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle for the Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) program and is the interceptor lead for the Kinetic Energy Interceptor program.
Raytheon is also providing the Sea-Based X-band radar and Upgraded Early Warning Radar for the GMD segment, the Space Tracking and Surveillance System payload, the Ballistic Missile Defense System radar, and THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) radar and battle management software.
Subscribe To SpaceDaily Express
US Official Defends Plans for Missile Defense Despite Test Failure
Washington DC (VOA) 17 Dec, 2004
A Bush administration official says the United States will continue to pursue missile defense despite a failed test of the system this week when an interceptor missile did not go off during an exercise in the Pacific Ocean. The official made his comments just hours after the United States signed an agreement with Japan to expand cooperation on missile defense.
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2016 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|